To content
Process System Engineering

Entry Requirements for foreign students

For admission to the Master's Programme, a B.Sc. or equivalent degree in chemical engineering is required. Applicants must show an excellent previous academic performance.

Since the Process Systems Engineering stream of the Master's programme is exclusively taught in English, all applicants must provide a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) certificate. (Institution Code: 8523, Department Code: 1001) Detailed regulations are to be found in the Admission Regulations. Although not demanded by the department of biochemical and chemical engineering of TU Dortmund, TOEFL/IELTS will mostly be asked by the embassies during the visa process. Therefore we ask to undergo a TOEFL, too.
In addition we appreciate knowledge of German although this would not be part of the application.

Admission is based on your overall academic performance, recommendation letters, GRE scores, motivational letter and further qualifications. For the evaluation bachelor courses dealing with process control systems, logics, simulation, mathematical models etc. will be weighted more than others. We will not be able to give GRE/TOEFL scores securing the admission.

ECTS European Credit Transfer System:
Credits are awarded for fulfilling certain requirement and passing modules. These credits should be accepted at participating European universities thus enabling to change universities.




Access to the programme is possible for students with a Dipl.-Ing.(FH or U) or students with a Bachelor Degree (B.Sc, B.Eng, B.Tech) in Chemical Engineering or equivalent degrees. The programme starts exclusively in winter semester (October).

Although formal qualifications in German are not required for the Process Systems course, some basic knowledge of the language before starting is strongly recommended to assist the integration in everyday campus life. Students are expected to attend German language classes offered in parallel with the lectures, tutorials and laboratory work for the technical subjects.

Students with a Bachelor's degree from a German University, Fachhochschule etc. 

Please apply centrally at TU Dortmund University


Students with an in­ter­na­tio­nal Bachelor's degree

Interested students meeting the criteria are encouraged to submit their application using uniassist (

Deadline for the submission of the application is  30.04.2024,  for application for the following winter semester starting in October. 

Please thoroughly read the application instructions fill in all information and include all documents -  otherwise your application will be rejected.

Your application has to include the following documents as upload (you do not need to send paper copies):

  • school-leaving certificate (A-level or secondary high school)
  • uni­ver­si­ty degree and transcript
  • English lan­guage certificate
  • GRE general test score (no application possible without!) - ETS-Codes: Institution Code: 8523, Department Code: 1001)
  • Curriculum vitae in­clu­ding an actual photography
  • Motivational Letter
  • Certificates for additional qualifications (as German lan­guage certificates, publications, etc.)
  • Two letters of recommendation from professors who are familiar with your studies or at least one from your professor and one from a senior engineer

Please direct all questions regarding your application to zulassungsbereich.referat4tu-dortmundde or use the contact form

Deadlines are binding and reference to the application number must be included as mentioned above.
The evaluation process normally lasts around 10 weeks. We ask you not to send mails inquiring about your status before. Please check the FAQ section below in case of further questions.

Information for prospective Indian students on the APS certificate

Applicants for Master's degree programs from India have to have their certificates checked by the Academic Evaluation Centre (APS India) of the German Embassy in New Delhi before they can apply in Germany. The TU Dortmund sends a weekly report to the APS office with the data of the applicants who are admitted to the study program at the TU Dortmund, in order to accelerate the process. After a positive review, they receive an APS certificate, which must be submitted as part of the application. 

The following applies for the Winter semester 2023/2024:

For applicants with Indian educational certificates it is not yet compulsory to submit an APS certificate together with their application to uni-assist. From 15 March, applications that do not yet include an APS certificate will be processed and forwarded to TU Dortmund University if the preliminary examination is positive. After this date, applications that have been rejected before 15 March due to the lack of an APS certificate will be processed by uni-assist as soon as possible. Applicants who are admitted to a Master's degree program for the Winter semester 2023/2024 must submit their APS certificate as soon as possible. Admitted applicants can only be enrolled within the regular enrollment deadlines if an APS certificate is available.

Additionally for applicants from China, Mongolia and Vietnam:

  • Applicants from China, Mongolia and Vietnam have to enclose the certificate as issued by the “Akademische Prüfstelle (APS)” at the German Embassy in their country of origin.
    Please note:

Only „APS-Zertifikate“ are accepted. „APS-Bescheinigung“ are not sufficient. „Gruppen-APS“ will only be accepted if they were issued for TU Dortmund University.


Living in Dortmund is affordable compared to many other cities in Europe. Students may expect a living cost of about 850 € per month including health insurance. This sum would guarantee housing, living and some cultural expenses at a students' level as well as the administrative fee. Funding for the first semester should be secured before coming to Dortmund. There is only limited time to work as well as your opportunities will be restricted by the "Aufenthaltsgenehmigung" (residence permit). The department offers a limited number of part-time employments for the best students after the first semester.

Tuition free

There are no tuition fees but only an administrative fee of around € 320 per semester is charged. The administrative fee includes a free ride on a large public transport network in and around Dortmund. All in all, please consider monthly costs of roughly € 750 to 900. Housing and living expenses are not part of the tution and administrative fees. However, living expenses for students in Germany are rather economical. Accommodation is cheaply available, a university cafeteria provides good value meals.

Health insurance

For studying in Germany a health insurance is compulsory. German insurance companies offer health insurance for students at a special rate costing around € 110 per month; for students older than 30 years it may be a bit more expensive. The German health insurance offers an excellent service that is well worth the money. Students do not have to organise the health insurance in their home country. Yet it is possible to do so.


Sufficient financial means are an important prerequisite for successful studies.  There are several scholarships offered either by industrial sponsors or by the German government. For detailed information please contact your local German Embassy or Consulate or the scholarship data base of Deutscher Akadademischer Austauschdienst . The decision criteria for scholarships is mostly the professional qualification - rather than the social background of the applicant. Mostly you would not receive a scholarship for the whole duration of your studies. TU Dortmund University as well as most other German universities does not grant scholarships. Normally you will have to apply for a scholarship from your home country. You should be aware of the fact that the duration of processing a scholarship application can be up to one year.

Industrial Placements & Assistantship Jobs

Due to the excellent industrial infrastructure and the close liaison of the department with the German chemical industry, students can organise industrial placements for the summer break. Employment opportunities within the department itself are limited. Application for an assistantship job is only possible after the arrival and in most cases only after the first exams.

Student accommodation is available either in hostels located not too far from the campus or in other public student houses that are spread around the city. However, it is common for students in Germany to live in private accommodation, often in flat sharing communities, which are widely available. For students admitted to the Chemical Engineering programme, the coordinator's office can unfortunately not organise accommodation. Having received admissions students are handed out an information document and a list with addresses to turn to for download.

Monthly rents in dormatories range between about € 180 and € 280, depending on the standard. Cheaper rooms have a shared bathroom and kitchen, whereas more expensive rooms have a separate bathroom and kitchen. Students may apply early for their accommodation through the 'Studierendenwerk', which operates dormatories of various standards in and around Dortmund; early application is essential as there is always a long waiting list and success cannot be guaranteed.

Regardless of the type of accommodation, a contract has to be signed, normally for a minimum period of six months. A deposit, normally equivalent to two months rent, will also have to be paid in advance. Rent has to be paid from the first day of the month in which you move in.

After arrival, students have the possibility to independently look for private housing by searching on the internet, daily news paper by checking the notice board on campus. More information on how to get an accommodation on the website of the international Office.

The higher education landscape in Dortmund is very varied, international in its focus. A whole series of university twinning agreements and partnerships, student exchange programmes and special companionship schemes for foreign students, internationally recognised B.A. and M.A. degree courses and a growing number of seminars and lectures offered in the English language are making Dortmund's international focus all the stronger. The city management, the Academic Foreign Offices, the various colleges and universities, the Jobs Centre, student services, the Foreigners' Registration Office and other authorities involved co-operate to raise the number of international students and visiting academics at the universities in Dortmund.

Chemical engineering represents the branch of the engineering sciences which is concerned with the chemical conversion of materials and the related technical processes and equipment. Chemical engineers find employment in chemical and process technology, in food processing and beverages industries, in pharmaceutical industry, oil industry, automotive industry, in the energy sector and in the ever-increasing environmental sector. Increasingly complicated plant and advancing automation lead to a continual need for graduates in chemical engineering. Chemical engineers are active in the fields of research and development, plant design, plant construction, plant operation, production, sales and service, in the official approval and monitoring of plant and processes.

Chemical engineers participate in major industrial corporations, small and medium-sized enterprises and the civil service. Due to a broadly based training, chemical engineers very well match the needs of the modern job market. Professional activity is not restricted to the chemical industry, but extends to many associated industries. The Department of Biochemical and Chemical Engineering (BCI) in Dortmund and its degrees enjoy a high reputation in German industry, resulting in a wide range of industrial placements and an excellent employment situation.


Applications may be submitted from 01.02. - 30.04.
All documents have to arrive within this period.


Start of Programme

Middle of October of each year (preparatory semester)
Details see under "Termine und Fristen" at the central website of TU Dortmund University.


Last Registration (Immatriculation)

October, 30


Can I apply without GRE? 

No, it is mandatory. Applications without GRE will be rejected.

Can I upload/send the GRE score after the deadline?
No. The GRE score must be uploaded as a scan or a screen shot of your online result during the Online application. We cannot accept any documents after the end of the deadline.

What is the min. score for the GRE?
There is no minimum score, but the score will be taken into account.

Can I apply without an English test (TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge First Certificate)?
For getting a visa you have to submit a proof of your English language skills in form of an official test like TOEFL or IELTS or Cambridge First Certificate. However, a test is not neccessary if you are a native English speaker and have conducted your most recent studies in a completely English speaking country e.g. USA, CAN, GBR, IRL, AUS, NZL. Conducting your studies in English language while not in a completely English speaking country is not sufficient - consult the German embassy for further details.

How long must English test be valid?

The test score must be valid until the end of the application period (30.04.)

Can I upload/send the English test score after the deadline?

No. The English test score must be uploaded as a scan or a screen shot of your online result during the Online application.

Will GAT-Test (Pakistan) be accepted as a substitute for GRE?
No, we will only accept GRE.   

Which Institution Code does the University of Dortmund have at ETS (Testing organization for GRE and TOEFL)
Institution Code: 8523; Department Code: 1001


Am I eligible to apply?
If you fulfill all the requirements you are eligible to apply.  You are eligible for the application with a bachelor degree in chemical engineering, not with a degree in chemistry.

Do I have to send any original documents by post?
No. Please do not send any documents by post, neither photocopies nor originals. Applications by post will be directly discarded. All documents need to be uploaded as pdf files. Original documents will be needed at the time of enrollment.

My application material is incomplete. Can I apply nonetheless? Can I hand in missing documents later?
You cannot turn in documents later, besides your final bachelor's degree and the final transcript. If you have not yet received your final bachelor degree, please send us a provisional transcript of your grades so far and clearly state the time you expect to receive the final transcript.

I have not received my bachelors degree yet.
You can apply with your transcript until the current semester. Please make sure to send your final transcript to us as soon as you have it by E-Mail.

How many letters of recommendation do I need?
You need to hand in two letters of recommendation. We require two academic letters of recommendation, but one academic letter may be replaced by one industrial letter of recommendation.

What is the required format for the letters of recommendation?
The letters of recommendation have to be on the official letter paper of the faculty/department or the company and signed. In case you do not get the letters handed out ask your professor to send them by E-mail.

What is the allowed length of the letter of recommendation?
There is no limit for the letters of recommendation.

What is the allowed length of the motivation letter?
The motivation letter is limited to one page.

Do I need to hand in an additional document if the explanation of my grading system is on my transcript?
No, it is sufficient if you upload the part of your transcript where the explanation is provided.

Can I upload additional documents to my application?
No, we only accept the documents stated under Documents . Please use the CV to state your experience and skills.

I have problems to upload 3 letters of recommendation
The the letters of recommendation must be assembled in ONE PDF-FILE! Other formats (e.g. ZIP-files) will not be accepted by the system. 

I have uploaded a wrong document. Can I change this document?
Once you have submitted your application you cannot change anything. If you really need to change something you need to apply anew.

Can I change my application after I submitted it?
Already submitted applications cannot be edited anymore. If you really need to change something you may apply anew.

Can upload the same document for several fields?
Yes, you may upload one document several times if it contains the required information.

When can I apply?
Application period for the winter intake is possible from autumn of the preceeding year till April 30th of the enrollement year.

When can I expect the admission results?
You may expect the admission results about ten weeks after the end of the application period.


Do I need to speak German?
You do not need to prove any German language skills as it is an international program and all lectures are held in English. The study program itself can be successfully completed with excellent English skills alone. To master daily life, however, we strongly recommend that you acquire at least a basic knowledge of German before you arrive or at least during your stay here in Germany. You will find it a lot easier e.g. to find accommodation if you are able to communicate in German. German language courses for learners of different levels and a special basic course is part of the programme.

How much are the monthly living costs in Germany approximately?
The monthly expenses are approximately 750-900 Euros per month. Please go to our site Finances. For further details please see the website of the DAAD.

How do I find accommodation in Germany?
Please see our topic Accomodation. Please keep in mind that you are responsible to find yourself a place to stay.

Are there any tuition fees or other?
No, there are no tuition fees. You only have to pay 341,95 EUR per semester as a social fee on enrollment and re-registration. This fee goes to the student association (AStA) and the Studentenwerk and also covers the costs for the semester ticket, with which you can use public transportation to travel through the region of Nordrhein-Westfalen for free.  All students of TU Dortmund University regardless of the program they have enrolled for have to pay this fee. 

When do I need to present the APS certificate? (for students from China, Mongolia or Vietnam)
People from the three countries mentioned above have to present their original certificate issued by the Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) of the German Embassy in their respective country (i.e. Beijing (China), Ulan Bator (Mongolia) or Hanoi (Vietnam)). This document is only required for visa application and the enrolment at TU Dortmund University.

How can I calculate how many ECTS or Creditpoints I achieved?
1 ECTS or Creditpoint is corresponding to 30 hours of workload.

Are all the lectures of the Master's programme taught in English?
The Process Systems programme is completely taught in English language. Of course, German language knowledge would be very useful in your everyday life. (All other specialisations at the department of Biochemical and Chemical Engineering are taught in German.)

How can I apply for the Masters programme in chemical engineering?
1. Check if the entry requirements are fulfilled

2. Apply online according to the information given in this list.

What are the admission requirements?
See Academic Performance + Language Test in this list.

Can I also start in the summer semester?
The Master’s Programme starts only in winter semesters (October of each year) with the first (preparatory) semester. Starting in the summer semester is possible exclusively with an ECTS bachelor of 7 semesters duration. All other international students (also with bachelors of 7 or more semesters duration!) have to start with the first (preparatory) semester in winter semester.
Can I get any finance / scholarships?
Technische TU Dortmund University does not offer scholarships. There are scholarships available from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). Please refer to the chapter finances.

Do you help for getting visa in my home country?
The university cannot influence the decision of the German Embassies/Consulates. In exceptional cases the faculty can provide additional documentation concerning provisional admission that might help you to get your visa.

What is the last date for registration of course in university?
October, 30.

Can I get accommodation before I come to Dortmund?

Universities are not responsible for arranging accommodation for their students in Germany. We will nevertheless try to help you as far as we can in order to attain accommodation for you. We will provide you with some addresses and tips and maybe you will be able to arrange a room for yourself before your arrival. Please refer to chapter accommodation.

Is there any information about the city of Dortmund?
Please find information on the internet:

Is it possible to work in Germany while I am student?
After getting your residence permit you are allowed to work for 90 full days a year.

Is there any student union / group who can help me further?
In the department, there is a student board of the masters students. They may also help you if you have questions prior to your arrival (e.g. accommodation).

What do I need to drive in Germany?
You would need an international driving licence.

How much does a masters programme in Dortmund cost?
Please refer to the section finances.

Is there a bachelor programme in chemical engineering in Dortmund?
There is only a German language Bachelor's programme.

We are on Facebook. You can contact fellow students from your native country here.